The Warooka Museum, formerly the Police Station, houses a comprehensive exhibition of items originating from the surrounding area and is open
Fridays 11am to 2pm or by appointment.
The museum traces the story of the early development and history of the town.
For details and opening contact:
- (08) 88 545125 Nola
- (08) 88 545312 Bev
- (08) 88 545025 Jane
- 6 Brentwood Road, Warooka
The Museum is housed in the original Warooka Police Station. The first Trooper, J.P.Dowling, arrived with his dray load of supplies in February 1879. The two front rooms were built in 1883, but the “moveable cell” and rear four rooms had been built before that.
The station closed in 1924, and was used as a private residence until 1980 when it was purchased by the Warooka Historical and Museum Society.
This is a group of local volunteers, and the building has been restored by voluntary labour. Most of the exhibits have been donated by the people of the district.
The aim of the Museum is to tell the continuing story of the District of Warooka.
We hope you enjoy your visit and learn a little about our district.
The Top Shop
Warooka Primary School
Murdock’s Motor Garage
Warooka Institute & Memorial Hall
Warooka Council & R.S.L.
- 1802 - Flinders names Corny Point, Cape Spencer, etc
- 1840 - Pastoral Leases: Coutt's Run, (Tuckokcowie, Orrie Cowie), Cape Spencer, White Hut
- 1870 - Agricultural Settlement, Land sold by Credit Selection
- 1873 - Warooka Post Office Selection, 18 Para Wurlie - Thomas Robertson
- 1874 - Mt Hardwick Wesleyan Chapel (Warooka Uniting Church) School opened
- 1875 - Sale of Township Blocks a/c James Angas Johnson
- 1876 - Registration of Township of Warooka. Roman Catholic Church (St Brigid's), foundation stone laid. Sisters of St Joseph teaching at "Cusacks"
- 1877 - Point Turton Jetty built. Warooka Hotel built by James McCabe
- 1879 - Warooka School, provisional, still in chapel. Police Station, 1st Trooper. Telegraph line reached Warooka
- 1881 - Warooka School Building completed
- 1882 - Corny Point Light commissioned
- 1884 - Warooka Memorial Hall (Supper Room) built
- 1888 - Corny Point School opened. District Council of Warooka Proclaimed. Telephone Office at Warooka
- 1890 - 1917 - Flux quarrying at Warooka
- 1896 - J. A. Johnson imports first seed drill
- 1913 - Gypsum Mining at Cape Spencer (Inneston) commenced
- 1916 - Stenhouse Bay Jetty built
- 1921 - Orrie Cowie School closed
- 1917 - Anglican Church (St James ), Warooka built
- 1928 - Warooka Memorial Hall opened
- 1943 - Levens School closed
- 1955 - ETSA Power online
- 1956 - Corny Point Hall opened. Warooka Council Chambers opened. Warooka Water Scheme opened
- 1959 - Brutus School closed
- 1960 - Warooka District Cemetery opened
- 1962 - Pt Turton grain yards closed (now caravan park)
- 1970 - Innes National Park, land donated to SA Government by Innes family
- 1970's Residential development: The Pines, Corny Point, Pt Turton, Marion Bay etc
- 1972 - Winding down of operations at Stenhouse Bay
- 1974 - Stenhouse Bay School closed
- 1976 - Warooka and District Centenary celebrations held
- 1984 - Marion Bay Hall opened
- 1986 - Point turton Township
- 1987 - Corny Point Township, Marion Bay Township, The Pines Township
- 1994 - Corny Point School closed, Sealed road to Corny Point
- 1997 - Point Turton Community Hall opened, Marion Bay Historical Centre opened. District Council of Warooka absorbed into District Council of Yorke Peninsula
- 2004 - Warooka Rotunda built
- 2005 - Warooka Restrooms built. Agile Broadband Tower installed
- 2007 - Tavern on Turton opened. Inland sea opened
- 2010 - Warooka School Stadium built
- 2011 - Keightley house demolished
- 2012 - Moreton Bay fig tree removed from Knightley's property
- 2013 - Keightley house rebuilt
- 2014 - District Council of Yorke Peninsula changed to Yorke Peninsula Council. Warooka Ambulance Station relocated
The Warooka District produces mainly barley and wool, together with some beef and fat lambs. There is also a small fishing industry: rock lobster, whiting, etc, in season. In the past gypsum, salt, and flux for smelting have also been important products of the district.
Thank you for visiting our museum...